Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tracy Graham Revelation!

Based on yesterday's post, I think it's fair to say that this card to Tracy Graham was from Liz Mable, the woman Tracy eventually married.


The card was sent in 1908 with a message that reads:
I passed all of my exams. Am I happy! Well just a few. So long till - .
L.M.

Guess what? I discovered something else.
Because of the fabulous Delaware County, New York, Genealogy and History Site  I now have all sorts of information on Tracy and family.

From the 1930 Census for the town of Meredith, New York:

Tracy Graham,  45 (b. 1884)
Elizabeth Graham,  39 (b.1890) Wife
Glenn Graham, 12 (b. 1917) Son
Robert Graham,  5 (b. 1924) Son
Bernice Graham, Daughter

Patrick Horgan,  37 (b. 1892) Ireland White Employee

Both Tracy and Elizabeth are buried in the Woodland cemetery in Delhi. The other thing that I discovered by chance is that Bernice Mable Graham Telian is the Historian for the town of Meredith. I wonder if she would like to have her parents' postcards.

*Update: I was thrilled to be able to talk to Bernice on the phone and she is very excited about getting the postcards. I seem to find more and more; I'm up to about 30 now. I'll post the scans, but all of the Tracy Graham cards themselves are going back home. Bernice tells me that her brother Robert is still alive, but that Glenn died in a motorcycle accident when he was a teenager.

Here's the back of the card:


Another Update - November 30, 2010
Since Bernice Graham sent me the photos of the three children (Glenn, Robert, and Bernice), I thought I'd include them here.
Glenn Graham

Robert Graham
Bernice Graham

9 comments:

  1. That's so neat that you could track her down and return a piece of her family history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to facilitate the reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please let us know what you find out about Tracy and Liz. It seems there must be a good story in there (in addition to the one you're already telling!). By the way, who is Patrick Horgan? Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karin,
    The census counted everybody in the household, including hired help. Patrick Horgan was hired help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, what a mystery you have solved and what an exceptional ending. (I told ya you need to be helping me write a best-selling cozy mystery:) How did the family postcards get out of the family? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trishia, I don't know how the family postcards got out of the family. Bernice mentioned that a number of antiques were stolen from their house in the 1960s, however postcards would not have been perceived as having much value then. For that matter, most antiques weren't highly valued then either. (That's why my mother was able to buy beaded bags from the 1920s at thrift stores for $1.25.)

    And actually, postcards aren't highly valued now either, which is why I am able to collect them. My guess is that Lizzie Graham or somebody wanted to give something to a young person (related or not) who collected stamps or postcards. At the time, they would have been just old postcards; she would not have viewed them as an historical record.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing that you found the family of the writers of these cards. And how very generous of you to give them back. I think this one is particularly fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it an adventure, chasing down history like you've done? I had a similar experience with a photo album that I purchased at an antique mall. It was chock-full of family photos from the late '20s through the '70s, and I became obsessed with learning who they were. I researched the names in the album, snooped around in ancestry.com, and ended up with a pretty impressive family tree. The only problem is that the website's records, for privacy reasons, don't include the more recent info. that I would have needed to track down descendants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your page while researching a Glenn Graham in my own family tree. This photo looks like him and is the right age. Sadly, not my man. I love looking at these photos, keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails