Thursday, September 27, 2012

Gold Medal Cookbook

There's no expiration date on this coupon, but since it's from the turn of the last century I don't suppose you could count on getting a cookbook. You could try. Don't forget to send ten cents in cash or stamps!


In 1878, the Washburn 'A' Mill was the site of a famous explosion caused by the ignition of flour dust in the air. The explosion flattened the mill and surrounding area and killed 18 people. The incident led to reforms in the milling industry.


Washburn-Crosby Millers, the makers of Gold Medal Flour eventually merged with other smaller mills to become General Mills.


6 comments:

  1. Oh--those are charming! Love the images -- and I'd like my free cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when my various interests collide-- like art and cooking! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the cards, not sure how good of a tag line 'Broad and Flaky' is though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The illustrations are so delightful - I don't know what a yeast cake is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee,
      A yeast cake is just like a packet of yeast, except it's in a little cake form and sold in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. I guess they're probably harder to find these days though.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails