Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tram Tuesday - Belfast, Northern Ireland

Belfast, Northern Ireland had horse-drawn trams in 1872, but by 1905 (about the time this photo was taken), they had changed to electric power. These trams did have overhead wires, but you can't see them because the people who colored the cards often erased whatever they could of the wires for aesthetic reasons. I don't think anyone ever thought to erase horses from the earlier photos.


Here's a closer view of the trams.

The card was sent to Master Alexander Seavey of Eugene, Oregon in 1910. Little Alexander would have been just over two years old at the time. He was born into an Oregon family with pioneer roots. His father, James Walter, was a hops farmer who married Bessie Kelly. Bessie's father John came from Dublin, Ireland, so the aunt who wrote this card may have been a relative of his.

The message is very sweet:

Belfast Ireland
April 5 -1910
My Dear little Boy -
Tell Mamma that Aunt Trey (Tray?) got her letter yesterday and will write her next Sunday. I was so glad to hear  all the nice things about you and so happy to hear in her other letter that you could say my name -  Don't forget it, please - It is just four months today since I saw you last. I stole upstairs and you were asleep in your little bed. How do you like the looks of these two-story cars? Not so much as your own new "chu-chu" car I know. Wish you bring it over to take me riding. Kiss Mamma, Papa, Aunt Kate, Elizabeth, W___, Aunt Ida for me, and tell everyone to compliment you.
Lots of love from Aunt Trey


4 comments:

  1. I've always liked that name Trey! Not a very common name around here. The trams are so useful, I only wish we had more of something like that right here in Minnesota! How fun that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen plenty of double decker busses, but I didn't know there were also double decker trams. Overhead wires don't seem to be handy when you're sitting at the top level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely, sweet message to young Alexander from auntie- things like that mean alot to a child, getting mail from abroad, oh boy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails